Make a difference in a young person’s life! Springfield Boys & Girls Club invites you to join the finest youth-serving organization in the City of Springfield.
Current Job Openings: (descriptions below)
Building Maintenance Staff – Full Time
Certified Lifeguard – Part Time
Youth Development Staff
*Anyone interested in applying for these dynamic positions should send a cover letter resume to Vincent Borello, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your resume and email to email@example.com or mail to Springfield Boys & Girls Club, 481 Carew Street, Springfield, MA 01104, attn. Vincent Borello.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Springfield Boys & Girls Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. The organization will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to, veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, or any other protected group status as defined by law. Springfield Boys & Girls Club will also not discriminate against employees or applicants based on sexual orientation
Building Maintenance Staff
Job Title: Building Maintenance Staff
Reports To: Facility Manager
Overview: The Building Maintenance Staff is a 40-hour per week position within the Springfield Boys & Girls Club. S/he is responsible for building maintenance and upkeep, as well as other tasks as assigned.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform general repair work
- Report any building-related issues to the facility manager
- Ensure building is clean, organized and ready for youth each day
- Set up rooms for special events
- Perform regular maintenance duties, such as changing lights, washing walls, cleaning equipment, removing trash, painting, vacuuming and general cleaning
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma
- Five years’ experience with facility/building maintenance
- Ability to make some repairs
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to successfully pass state and federal background checks
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected in this classification. It is not designed, nor is it interpreted, as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. It is expected that the Building Maintenance Staff will perform the duties listed and any other duties as directed by the Facility Manager, Assistant Executive Director, or Executive Director
Job Title: Lifeguard
Reports To: Assistant Executive Director
Overview: The Lifeguard is a part-time position within the Springfield Boys & Girls Club. S/He is responsible for the operations & safety of the pool area including the locker room areas. Below are a full list of the duties and responsibilities.
Lifeguard Job Responsibilities:
- Supervises swimming activities at the aquatics facility and ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures are followed.
- Warns swimmers of improper activities or danger and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Administers first aid in the event of injury, rescues swimmers in distress or danger of drowning, and administers CPR and/or artificial respiration, if necessary.
- Evaluates conditions for safety and initiates aquatics emergency action plan as required.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Supervises and assists in cleaning the pool and related facilities and equipment, assists with chlorine residual water tests and with records and charts of water tests and records of accidents, and adds chemicals to pool water as directed.
- Instructs or assists classes in fundamentals of swimming as needed.
- Resolves scheduling conflicts to ensure safe pool environment when competing programs/priorities require use of aquatic facilities.
Lifeguard Qualifications / Skills:
- Knowledge and ability to evaluate water conditions at aquatics facilities, at the beach/ocean, or other offsite natural pools, streams, or rivers to determine any potential dangers or hazards
- Ability to adjust programs as necessary to ensure the safety of the visitors and other staff
- Swimming proficiency and comfort in all types of water conditions
- Ability to judge and evaluate evolving dynamics of individuals participating in aquatic activities to immediately assess their capabilities and threats to their safety
- Knowledge of on-site protocols, operational procedures, and safety policies
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for providing on-site emergency medical services
Qualifications, Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 6 months of related work experience
- Certified Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate, or equivalent
- American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer, or equivalent
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid, or equivalent
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected in this classification. It is not designed, nor is it interpreted, as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Youth Development Staff
Job Title: Youth Development Staff – Summer
Reports To: Program Director
Overview: The Youth Development Staff is a part-time, seasonal (summer) position with the Springfield Boys & Girls Club. S/he is responsible for implementing programs and activities as set forth by the program director and/or the assistant executive director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work directly with youth to ensure a safe, positive experience that includes educational and recreational opportunities
- Foster an environment that focuses on youth development outcomes – academic success, healthy habits and citizenship
- Promote and stimulate program participation
- Undergo regular training on behavior management, club policies/procedures, Boys & Girls Club’s “Blue Culture,” first aid/CPR and EEC requirements
- Ensure members adhere to all club policies
- Provide guidance and serve as a role model for program youth
- Prepare daily activities, making sure they are appropriate and accessible for all youth
- Ensure program areas are clean and sanitized before moving on to the next area or at the end of each shift
- Immediately report any problems or issues related to youth to the program director or assistant executive director
- Refer all parent questions/concerns to the program director
- High school diploma preferred
- At least three months experience working with youth
- High standards in terms of character, integrity and adaptability
- A willingness to learn and adhere to state requirements/regulations
- Ability to understand and follow directions
- Ability to relate to both youth and peers
- A good problem solver
- Ability to multi-task
- First Aid certification preferred
- Desire to work with diverse populations
- Exceptional communication skills