Make a difference in a young person’s life! Springfield Boys & Girls Club invites you to join the finest youth-serving organization in the City of Springfield.
Current Job Openings: (descriptions below)
Athletic Director – Full Time
Building Maintenance Staff – Full Time
Certified Lifeguard – Part Time
Youth Development Staff
*Anyone interested in applying for these dynamic positions should send a cover letter resume to Vincent Borello, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your resume and email to email@example.com or mail to Springfield Boys & Girls Club, 481 Carew Street, Springfield, MA 01104, attn. Vincent Borello.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Springfield Boys & Girls Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. The organization will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to, veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, or any other protected group status as defined by law. Springfield Boys & Girls Club will also not discriminate against employees or applicants based on sexual orientation
Athletic Program Director
TITLE: Athletic Director
Direct/manage the overall athletic program for all youth members. Focus on the service delivery of all programs within the Club Athletic program areas including both gymnasium and outdoor areas. To provide quality supervision; manage all of the athletic facilities, supplies and equipment; provide strong community relations with parents, board members and donors and support membership/attendance/recruitment/retention.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
- Create, develop a Physical Educational program that prepare youth for success.
- Create a club/camp environment that facilitates achievement of Youth Development Outcomes.
- Ensure a healthy and safe environment, ensuring facilities, equipment and supplies are maintained.
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate the physical educational programs and Summer Camp programs, services and activities to ensure they meet stated objectives and member needs and interests.
- Complete regular reports reflecting all activities, attendance and participation with member tracking coordinator.
- Ensure that all programs meet their stated objectives and grant funding outcomes.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of the strategic plan by:
Planning, organizing and implementing a range of programs and services for members of all ages.
- Initiate new programs with a special emphasis on teens.
Recommend the development of quarterly programs, including any staffing/volunteer needs, etc.
- Recruit members and increase frequency of attendance by existing members.
- Promote and stimulate program participation.
- Support the Three T’s – Teens, Technology and Training.
Prepare Youth for Success
- Ensure programs, services and activities that prepare youth for success, promoting safety of members and quality in programs at all times.
- Provide guidance and a positive role model for youth members.
- Ensure quality improvement by monitoring and evaluating program achievements against target goals by showing improvement in our NYOI Impact Assessment scores.
Health and Safety
- Ensure a healthy and safe environment, supervising members in program area and making sure each program area has enough staff to adequately supervise our youth members.
- Manage facilities and ensure a productive work environment. Maintain an inventory of all program equipment and supplies.
- Assist with the development of the annual operating budget as it pertains to program supplies, repairs, maintenance, etc.
- Control expenditures against budget.
- Comply with the administrative and operational systems that are in place to maintain the operation of the physical properties and equipment of the Club, including use of facilities by outside groups.
- Ensure compliance with organization policies.
- Participate in regular staff meetings for all full and part-time program staff.Human Resources
- Directly supervise and manage all volunteer coaches and any community service workers assigned to your program areas.
- Create and review all coaches job descriptions
- Provide orientation program for all coaches.
- Develop partnerships with parents, community leaders, schools and other organizations.
- Organize quarterly program schedules with all program staff.
- Communicate programs to be offered with Dir. Of Operations so that they can produce program newsletter.
- Review program and staff program schedule to ensure that is followed.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Develop and maintain public relations to increase the visibility of programs, services and activities within the Club and the community.
- Provide the Director of Operations with photo’s, articles, etc.
- Recognize member accomplishments – Athlete of the Week, Member stats, etc.
- Purchase or approve purchase of supplies and equipment.
- Work with staff on special events to carry out programs in all departments.
- Exercise authority in problems relating to members; utilize guidance and discipline plan. Communicate effectively with parents on these and other issues.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Take the lead in all first aid emergencies in the athletic areas
- Drive the van when necessary for club programs, donation pick-ups, etc.
- Support Club special events – Auction, golf tournaments,
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with Club professional staff to interpret and explain organizational mission, program objectives and standards, discuss issues, and provide/receive information.
Has regular contact with members as needed to discipline, provide advice and counsel.
External: Maintains contact with external community groups, schools, members’ parents and others to assist in resolving problems and to publicize Club.
- Four year degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of two years work experience in a Boys and Girls Club or similar organization planning and supervising activities based on the developmental needs of young people, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability in personnel supervision, facilities management, and the recruitment and retention of key personnel.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to recruit, train, supervise, and motivate staff.
- Ability to deal effectively with members including discipline problems.
- Working knowledge of budget preparation, control, and management.
- Skills in fund-raising events.
- Demonstrated ability in working with young people, parents and community leaders.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Employee must have the physical ability to perform physical tasks such as but not limited to:
- Lifting heavy equipment
- Climbing extension ladder
- Ability to participate with members in athletic programs. I.e. throw and catch, referee games.
- Ability to maintain high energy levels.
- Ability to focus on and complete multiple tasks.
- Ability to speak clearly and hear the spoken word well.
- Ability to manage vehicle maintenance program (knowledge).
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Building Maintenance Staff
Job Title: Building Maintenance Staff
Reports To: Facility Manager
Overview: The Building Maintenance Staff is a 40-hour per week position within the Springfield Boys & Girls Club. S/he is responsible for building maintenance and upkeep, as well as other tasks as assigned.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform general repair work
- Report any building-related issues to the facility manager
- Ensure building is clean, organized and ready for youth each day
- Set up rooms for special events
- Perform regular maintenance duties, such as changing lights, washing walls, cleaning equipment, removing trash, painting, vacuuming and general cleaning
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma
- Five years’ experience with facility/building maintenance
- Ability to make some repairs
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to successfully pass state and federal background checks
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected in this classification. It is not designed, nor is it interpreted, as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. It is expected that the Building Maintenance Staff will perform the duties listed and any other duties as directed by the Facility Manager, Assistant Executive Director, or Executive Director
Job Title: Lifeguard
Reports To: Assistant Executive Director
Overview: The Lifeguard is a part-time position within the Springfield Boys & Girls Club. S/He is responsible for the operations & safety of the pool area including the locker room areas. Below are a full list of the duties and responsibilities.
Lifeguard Job Responsibilities:
- Supervises swimming activities at the aquatics facility and ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures are followed.
- Warns swimmers of improper activities or danger and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Administers first aid in the event of injury, rescues swimmers in distress or danger of drowning, and administers CPR and/or artificial respiration, if necessary.
- Evaluates conditions for safety and initiates aquatics emergency action plan as required.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Supervises and assists in cleaning the pool and related facilities and equipment, assists with chlorine residual water tests and with records and charts of water tests and records of accidents, and adds chemicals to pool water as directed.
- Instructs or assists classes in fundamentals of swimming as needed.
- Resolves scheduling conflicts to ensure safe pool environment when competing programs/priorities require use of aquatic facilities.
Lifeguard Qualifications / Skills:
- Knowledge and ability to evaluate water conditions at aquatics facilities, at the beach/ocean, or other offsite natural pools, streams, or rivers to determine any potential dangers or hazards
- Ability to adjust programs as necessary to ensure the safety of the visitors and other staff
- Swimming proficiency and comfort in all types of water conditions
- Ability to judge and evaluate evolving dynamics of individuals participating in aquatic activities to immediately assess their capabilities and threats to their safety
- Knowledge of on-site protocols, operational procedures, and safety policies
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for providing on-site emergency medical services
Qualifications, Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 6 months of related work experience
- Certified Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate, or equivalent
- American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer, or equivalent
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid, or equivalent
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected in this classification. It is not designed, nor is it interpreted, as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Youth Development Staff
Job Title: Youth Development Staff
Reports To: Program Director
Overview: The Youth Development Staff is a part-time, seasonal position with the Springfield Boys & Girls Club. S/he is responsible for implementing programs and activities as set forth by the program director and/or the assistant executive director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work directly with youth to ensure a safe, positive experience that includes educational and recreational opportunities
- Foster an environment that focuses on youth development outcomes – academic success, healthy habits and citizenship
- Promote and stimulate program participation
- Undergo regular training on behavior management, club policies/procedures, Boys & Girls Club’s “Blue Culture,” first aid/CPR and EEC requirements
- Ensure members adhere to all club policies
- Provide guidance and serve as a role model for program youth
- Prepare daily activities, making sure they are appropriate and accessible for all youth
- Ensure program areas are clean and sanitized before moving on to the next area or at the end of each shift
- Immediately report any problems or issues related to youth to the program director or assistant executive director
- Refer all parent questions/concerns to the program director
- High school diploma preferred
- At least three months experience working with youth
- High standards in terms of character, integrity and adaptability
- A willingness to learn and adhere to state requirements/regulations
- Ability to understand and follow directions
- Ability to relate to both youth and peers
- A good problem solver
- Ability to multi-task
- First Aid certification preferred
- Desire to work with diverse populations
- Exceptional communication skills